Thursday, June 25, 2015

Philosophy Wire: Yes, I am a Christian. And I do not tell you why! [Unless you insist…]


Philosophy Wire by Spiros Kakos [2015-06-25]:

Yes, I am a Christian. And I do not tell you why!

Unless…

…you tell me that Chirstianism killed a lot of people.

So I will ask you if Christ taught murder.

…you tell me that Christianism oppressed people.

So I will tell you to read how Jesus behaved to people who were outcasts in His time. And I will also ask you if you really know and understand the difference between politics, religion and religion philosophy. And if you can detect such a difference for every bad thing happens in the name of science. And if you believe Mengele represented science (even though he did in his time – see here).

…you tell me that Christianism is darkness.

So I will tell you that humanism began in Byzantium. (see here) And that everything you know about ancient Greek philosophers you so much admire, you know because a monk somewhere saves his works. And that even the ancient “free thinking” Greeks had religion. And that universities started in the “Dark” Middle Ages and Dawkins teaches in one of those “dark” places.

…you tell me that Christianism is all about faith.

So I will tell you the difference between “blind faith” and “faith based on logic and evidence”. And I will explain to you that science needs faith as well. And I would add that believing in a scientific axiom requires more faith than to believe in love like Christ taught.

…you tell me that Christianism is unscientific and irrational.

So I will tell you that it is more irrational and unscientific to believe that everything exist out of pure luck than to believe that everything has a cause. And that Aristotle (the founder of Logic) and Gödel (the second greatest logicologist after… Aristotle) believed – based on their logic – in the First Cause. And that the great so called atheist (what? Yes… Check out here) Nietzsche was an irrationalist. And that the Interacademy Panel [IAP - Global network of Science Academies] acknowledged the limitations of science (see “The Limits of Science” @ Harmonia Philosophica) and the need to coexist with religion which examines completely different questions which are out of scope for science. (see “Religion and Science philosophy” @ Harmonia Philosophica) And that most important scientists like Max Planck, Heisenberg and Collins were believers (see here).

…you tell me that consciousness/ soul stems from the brain.

So I will tell you the TV analogy and remind you that reductionism is as much “proven” as the 5th axiom of Euclid is. Adding a recommendation for some more in depth reading regarding the brain and the mind. (see “Human Consciousness and the end of Materialism” and here)

…you tell me that Christianism has stupid rituals

So I will tell you to spend some time in the analysis of the words spoken and the appreciation of the artistic beauty of the hymns sang during the John Chrysostom liturgy. And to compare it with stupid rituals with semi-naked women you so much enjoy watching.

…you tell me that Christianism is simplistic.

So I will tell you that the highest philosophy is and should be simplistic. And I would dare you to find any phrase full of philosophical meaning like “Love your enemies” is.

I love you too my atheist friend.

And I understand that your irritation stems from your deep need to believe.

Materialism is ridiculousArguing in favor of religion is truly easy for someone who knows the basics. Science is the new religion nowadays. But you must have free thinking is you wish to be true to yourself. Atheism is trendy nowadays. But you must resist my dear atheist friend. Christ taught love, compassion, forgiveness (Gr. Συγ-χώρεση). If you agree with all these, why so hatred against Him?

Accept logic.

Accept your thoughts.

Accept your feeling.

Only then will you be able to say “I am a Christian!”.

Without the need to tell anyone why…

(c) Philosophy WIRES - Commenting world news from philosophy's perspective…

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...