Monday, December 3, 2012

Philosophy Wire: Against smoking and the Oppression of “politically correctness”

_64491980_cigarettePhilosophy Wire by Spiros Kakos [2012-12-03]: Australia has become the first country in the world to introduce plain packaging for cigarettes. From now, all tobacco company logos and colours will be banned from packets. They have been replaced by a dreary, uniform, green/brown, colour accompanied by a raft of anti-smoking messages and photographs. [source: BBC News] There will always be people who think they can tell others how to live their lives. I am not a smoker my self, but I find the idea of someone dictating how others should live appalling. Today it is smoking. Tomorrow it could be the “I have sex” or “I sing opera” or “I play Playstation”…

(c) Philosophy WIRES - Commenting world news from philosophy's perspective...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...